
Some things people don't know about me include: I am afraid of Californian highways, wild cougars, and failure. Some other things people don't know about me? I love rice pudding, chewing (a minimum of) 3 pieces of gum at once, and making up faux-profanities that I can shout and not feel guilty of saying.
But one thing that I have never shared? I make up pen-names, ALL the time.
Why? Well...I love to write, and I love to write honestly, and there is something about writing as Brock, and then publishing as Joe Bongobottom from Thornberry England that fascinates me...I can be just as honest, without fear of critiscim or questioning. And the best thing is, If somebody finds out that Joe Bongobottom isn't real, then I'll just find another name, of another guy, living in another far off country.
Just a few of my favorite pen names: Walter J. Munch, a post american revolution author (not so) famous for his prose on marriage and courting. Bryan-Francis Piccard, well-known French poet, most famous for his ground breaking social commentary, and outragous accent. And the closest to my heart, Ken Foster, who has yet to actually be discovered and appreciated by modern readers.
Frankly, I don't know why I love pen names, and I don't know why I love writing, and further more, I don't think I'll ever stop writing with pen names or for that matter, with pens. Because in this world, you can say whatever you want, as long as your are willing to make people uncomfortable and angry, and sometimes, if you still want to speak your mind, you pick a different set of lips to do it with...
And if you find yourself in need of expression, feel free to jot down a couple letters to Walter J. Munch, I'm sure he'd appreciate the fan mail... -Brock
No comments:
Post a Comment