Tuesday, February 12, 2008

A Loveless Lent


This year, I decided to make Lent mean something. You see, every year up until this one. It was always just a tradition, to give up something that I enjoyed but did not really need. So when it came time to go without it for 40 days, it was easy street.
But this time, however, I gave up a large part of life, a large part of what makes me Brock, and not some guy named Robert living in a van down by the river.
I've given up Love. That's right. L-O-V-E. And every time I've opened up to somebody and told them that, they have either chuckled or said "...You can't give love up...That's not what Lent is about"
But on the contrary. What I am giving up, is exactly what Lent is about. The purpose of Lent, is to remove a road-block from our spiritual paths, something that is distracting us from what is important, from what is real. And somehow I don't think that giving up gummy bears and diet soda will cut it. I'm giving up Love for Lent, because I've misplaced my heart.
Now, when I say "love" I don't mean brotherly love, or even spiritual (family in christ) love. I mean Romantic, Beauty and the Beast, daisies and sonnets, love. Because the truth is, I love to love. And I spend so many time's with my head in my hands, cursing myself for only being "the guy friend" for never getting my "big chance" with a girl. ....I've spent so many time's looking for my dream girl, that I've gotten myself lost in a nightmare.
So for the next 35 days, I refuse to listen to cheesy Disney music, write love poems, listen to romantic stories, watch romantic movies, and more importantly I will not pursuit a romantic relationship. Because for the next 35 days...It does not matter.

Yes, I can and will do it. 35 more days. And I'll stumble through Valentine's day with my eyes glued to the scripture and mind furrowed in the many blessings I've been given. So what if my blessings don't come in a pink bow or wrapped in big hugs?

The truth is the only set of arms I need in my life, are the ones that Christ put on the cross.



"We love because he first loved us" 1 John 4:19

No comments: